Friday, May 22, 2020

BEM, SINGER, SONGWRITER, GUITERIST RELEASES ART WORK FOR BRAND NEW SINGLE, "I REMEMBER". BRAND NEW SINGLE, "I REMEMBER".

BEM RELEASES ART WORK FOR BRAND NEW SINGLE, "I REMEMBER".

What inspired you to write this piece of music?

I actually began writing this song about 14 years ago. For some reason, I could not bring myself to finish it till the ending of 2019; which is kind of ridiculous when you hear the simplicity of I REMEMBER. Generally, I would say the motivation for the song began as self-reflection and was finished based on the appreciation of others whose lives were going through similar dramatic changes. It is in this spirit of shared experiences that the song was also made; with a group of friends involved.

Was writing I REMEMBER in response to something significant that happened in your life?

When I woke up on my 30th birthday the opening lines came to me and, for a while, I figured it was because i had hit a milestone in my life. In the time that has passed, the heart of the chorus has always rang in my ears, especially at those times when my life has literally ground to a halt or when some unspeakably good thing has occurred. There have been quite a number of them, and for some time I have been weary of increasing difficulties for many people across the world. We thought it would help to position I REMEMBER now so that people could reconcile with the memories of the past and those they are about to create; good and bad.

Where were you when you wrote and recorded it?

I was in Abuja when I started writing I REMEMBER. Last year, I moved to Gboko, #Benue state to run my late father's farm and that is where I put finishing touches to it. There was an urgency I felt to hit the studio and this is contrary to my practice. I like to take at least one year to perform new songs before different audiences and work out the kinks before I even think about recording. Anyway, I called up my friend, Emmeo Ogwuche, and we got to it when he came into Makurdi  from Lagos. We got a number of friends together and made it work.

What are the ideas behind I REMEMBER?

Anyone who has lived for a significant amount of time has very likely asked this puzzling question "Why am I here"? There are no easy answers but what has come to my knowledge is that simple reflection and appreciation for past and present circumstances can help you see something of a foundation of your life, get a grip on what is truly important, and move forward with power. For me, it was recognizing the preservative influence of God in my life in spite if my many mistakes.

What is the connection between you, your instruments, band mates, and collaborators?

If I were to put my answer in one word, it would be #guitar. After my voice, the guitar is my next favorite instrument and, just like people, each guitar has its own unique voice and personality. It is also a refreshing experience when the same guitar spews out different ranges of expression handled by different players. This intriguing fact has bound me to the people I enjoy making music with the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment